May is Healthy Vision Month! There are many things you can do to take care of your eyes and protect your sight for life.
- Schedule a comprehensive dilated eye exam!
- Know your family’s eye health history. Many eye conditions are hereditary.
- Eat a balanced diet – in particular, dark, leafy greens and fish like salmon, albacore tuna, or trout are great for your eyes.
- Wear protective eyewear when playing sports, doing home repairs or yardwork, or using tools.
- Wear sunglasses with UVA-UVB protection.
- Follow contact lens hygiene rules like washing your hands, cleaning your contacts and contact lens case, and not over-wearing your contact lenses.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Quit smoking!
- Call your eye doctor if you ever have decreased vision, eye pain, redness, discharge, double vision, floaters, or flashes of light.